The key to making precise coffee – a good coffee scale!
Picture this… You roll out of bed in the morning, make an amazing cup of coffee and your day is made! The next day, you do the same… you roll out of bed, make your cup of coffee but this time, it tastes awful! What happened? Why was the flavour so different to yesterday?
So you go over it in your head.
Same coffee beans… Check.
Freshly ground beans… Check.
Used the same brew method… Check.
The same amount of water… Hmmm. Not too sure about that.
The same amount of coffee… Clueless!
All of a sudden, it becomes clear. To avoid these clueless moments when brewing coffee, use a scale!
Here we share with you our top four reasons why you HAVE to get your hands on a good coffee scale immediately (or as soon as you finish reading this article)!
Finding the right ratio of ground coffee to water is extremely crucial. According to experts, anything between the ratio 1:15 and 1:19 (coffee: water) is considered ideal. We recommend a 1:16 rule of thumb to brew a good cup of coffee. However, everyone will have different preferences so experiment to find the ratio you like.
Apart from that, different beans will have different densities and only a weighed measurement can ensure that the ratio is accurate. That’s when a good coffee scale comes to the rescue – it gives you complete control over the specific amount of coffee and water used. You’ll never have to second-guess how much coffee and water to use again.
Now that you’ve got your coffee to water ratio on point, trying to get your pour right becomes a hassle with guesswork. Especially when you’re in a rush before work! This is because timing your pour makes a difference in the flavour of your coffee. A good coffee scale comes with a built-in timer so you can time your pour for adequate bloom and brewing.
Find out more about coffee bloom here.
With a good coffee scale that comes with a timer, you won’t have to feel uneasy about the correct amount of brewing time ever again. It not only saves you time from trying to measure the “right” amount of water but also allows you to make precision coffee with the built-in timer.
Sure, you can use a tablespoon and cup measure. In fact, we encourage it! If you don’t want to geek out about ratios and chemical reactions, going low tech may be good enough for you. However, remember that your ratios may not always be entirely accurate and this will reflect in the flavour of your coffee. Coffee grounds can settle in your spoon or when bleary-eyed in the morning, you may fail to notice that the amount of water isn’t just right. Don’t let it stress you, but keep in mind that you could be on your way to consistently poured delicious coffee every time – with a scale.
Using a scale can also help you to to enjoy the process more. It enables you to accurately improve and refine your coffee drinking experience. With a good scale, you will be able to experiment with different ratios and learn more about your preferences.
After experimenting a few times, you will get a better understanding of your tastes. You can start to adjust the amount of coffee or water used, the time used to brew and even the type of brewing method.
Eureka! Using a scale ensures consistency and assists you in pouring your perfect cup. And what a relief to enjoy a good, delicious, consistent cup of coffee every single time you crave one.
Our Top Scale Picks
Choosing a suitable scale among the large variety in the market can be a tedious task. Here are our two favourites available in our brew gear store. For something simple, sleek and of great value, we would recommend the Hario Scale. Techies, serious brewers and those with an eye for design will love the beautifully-designed acaia scale as a worthy investment.
- Comes with a scale and built-in timer that simultaneously measures the weight and extraction time. You won’t have to switch back and forth between the weight and timing.
- Auto-off function. As compared to many other scales which shuts down after 2 – 3 mins, the Hario Scale actually allows you to choose the time you prefer.
- Measures in tenths of a gram (0.1g).
- Can take up to a maximum capacity of 2kg
- Comes in a sleek black design.
- Included in the set are two AAA batteries
Widely known as top of the line and also one of the most beautiful in design, this simple, modern and minimalistic scale is designed with brilliant functionality. Compatible with the Acaia iPhone & Android app, this scale is next level and offers you endless possibilities to explore the exquisite world of coffee. Comes with aerial heat resistant pad (black) as well as a Micro-USB cable.
- Fast processing speed. 20ms response time that provides almost instant readings.
- Accuracy – Measures in tenths of a gram (0.1g). The Acaia Pearl is sensitive to even weight changes resulting from evaporation.
- Stability – auto zero tracking, and creeping compensation technology to provide industrial grade stability.
- Built-in stopwatch – you can track the blooming, pouring and infusion time without a fuss, with the two-way timer that syncs with your mobile phone.
- Automated auto-off customisation – the Acaia will not shut down during coffee brewing, auto-off feature is also customisable in the mobile app.
- Rechargeable USB power supply that provides a greener alternative power source. Batteries life span: 20 – 30 hours
Now that you have learned all about how a good scale can help you brew a precise cup of coffee, it’s time for you to try it out in your daily life. Trust us, it’s only going to make your days better! We’d love to hear what you discover while brewing that perfect cup of coffee while using a scale.
Remember, it’s also important to note that a scale will only help if you use fresh and high-quality beans.
Subscribe to Perk and receive your monthly supply freshly roasted specialty coffee beans now!